Sunday, April 10, 2011

Rain Rain Go Away

Rain, 40 degrees, and the hint of a cold that has been going around forced a 13 mile treadmill torture.  Hopefully that decision proves to keep my physical health in tact.  I know for sure it didn't do a darn thing for my mental health.  I kept picturing myself as a giant hamster running on a wheel inside a cage with a red accent wall.  Maybe next winter I will get a large plastic ball so I can just roll around the house for two hours.  At mile 10.8 the treadmill even tried to say enough is enough.  Apparently there is a safety switch that makes it shut off after a certain amount of time.  Thank goodness no one was home to listen to me have words with the treadmill for shutting down early. 

Spring weather is desperatly trying to take hold around here.  It will be nice to get some long runs in without six layers on.  I can honestly say the thought of venturing out on a cold rainy day was very tempting.  I have started to look at the bad weather days as a challenge to myself to get the run in regardless of the crappy weather.  If I didn't have a twenty mile run coming up in a week I would have thrown caution to the wind and braved the rain.  The treadmill is a whole challenge of it's own.  I keep telling myself the mind nubming boredom is helping me with the mental game. 

Please keep in mind one of the lessons cancer taught me.  Although cancer took the life of someone I loved, it also taught me that no matter what bad things happen, life is only as good as you make it.   

2 comments:

  1. Hey bro, sounds like you are doing well. I'm impressed at how you've tackled this challenge. Just like the Joe I've always known. Be safe.
    -Brant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to post on this blog. I found it while searching for area 5k & 10k races.

    I appreciate your perseverance through the winter. Ken Smith, Ellendale ND.

    ReplyDelete